The government classifies jobs that share common characteristics into general work “groups” and specific “series.” The occupations are generally divided into white-collar (General Schedule, or GS) and trades (Wage Grade, or WG) job groups.
The Classification pages provide:
- General information about the classification of Federal positions
- Occupational information
- Grading criteria for the General Schedule and Federal Wage Classification Systems
- Draft classification and job grading standards
The Qualifications pages provide:
- General policies and information on eligibility and qualifications for Federal occupations
- Government wide qualification requirements for specific occupations
- Draft qualifications standards
- A list of occupations that have medical requirements
- Recent issuance of new or revised qualification standards
- Federal Wage System Qualifications
If you are interested in more detailed information about the work performed by a particular job series, you can research the Position Classification Standards maintained by OPM’s website.