- The following announces the significant changes to Post 9-11 GI Bill transfer of education benefits (TEB) eligibility implemented in Department of Defense (DoD) Instruction 1341.13.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) has updated reference DOD Instruction 1341.13 to reinforce Post 9-11 GI Bill transfer of education (TEB) benefits as a retention incentive that requires members to be eligible for and agree to serve 4 additional years of service on active duty or in the selected reserve beyond the date they elect to transfer their benefits. Members must complete the full 4-year service obligation to retain TEB unless involuntarily separated. Failure to complete this obligation will result in the amount of any transferred entitlement that is used as of the date of such failure being treated as an overpayment of educational assistance and shall be subject to collection by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Changes listed in this instruction do not impact servicemembers whose TEB applications submitted in the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) milConnect web portal via (https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil) and have been approved.
- TEB Eligibility
- Effective immediately, all members requesting to transfer unused education benefits to eligible dependents must meet eligibility requirements to serve 4 additional years on active duty or in the selected reserve from the date of election in DMDC milConnect.
- Former exceptions that permitted individuals with at least 10 years of service to obligate less than 4 years of service if precluded by statute or standard policy (DoD or Service) in return for TEB are cancelled.
- Effective 12 July 2019, TEB will only be available for members with at least 6 years of service up to a maximum of 16 years of service who are eligible for and agree to 4 additional years of service beyond the date they elect to transfer their benefits.
THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE THAT IMPACTS SENIOR SERVICEMEMBERS WITH 16 OR MORE YEARS OF SERVICE. ACTION IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO 12 JULY 2019 TO PRESERVE THE ABILITY TO TRANSFER BENEFITS OR THEY WILL BE LOST.